We feel like we are standing on holy ground in this episode. Frank Abel and Tim Young discuss the revelation of God's name of Yahweh before Moses at the burning bush in Exodus 3. What does this name mean and what does it tell us about God? This continues our studies about God and how he manifests himself.
- Exodus 3:3-4 - standing on holy ground – the importance of this topic
- Moses asking questions Ex. 3:3,11,13 “What is your name?”
- Exodus 3:14-15 The declaration of the name
- The name is Yahweh v. 15 (in all caps)
- Present or future tense? I AM as to existence or I WILL BE as to intent
- Considering the context Ex. 3:12
- Other examples are usually future unless context indicates it to be present tense
- Exodus 6:23 "by Yahweh I was not known"
- El Shaddai as a title for blessing
- The fathers did not know or experience the covenant name even though they heard it from God and used it… “calling on the name of Yahweh” (e.g. Gen. 12:8 cp. Gen. 15:7-8)
- Exodus 6:6-8 The name and what God says he will do
- Emphasis “I am Yahweh” verses 2, 6, 8
- Seven “I will” statements in v. 6-8
- The meaning for us - God’s name is a memorial forever as he is “taking out of the Gentiles a people for his name” Acts 15:14